Monday, February 16, 2009

Microsoft Office 2007

Have you started using Office 2007? I have found it most frustrating.
I have grown up on the ‘normal’ interface used by XyWrite in the old days, then MSWorks and then various versions of Office until 2003.
We have loaded 2007 on our network as many learners have it at home, and we have to keep up with the (Microsoft) times. It is taking me ages to learn to use this new office software. The frustrating part for me is the different meanings of commands on the Toolbar. Nothing seems to mean the same as it did in 2003.
But in the age of ‘life-long learning’ we must continue to learn.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are also using Office 2007 as from the beginning of this year. I have found two websites which are very useful in helping me "find" my way around the ribbon, etc. http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/training/HA102295841033.aspx - this one is really good, you can download a ribbon mapping workbook for each application. The other site - www.functionx.com is also good.

I was fortunate to find a company - NextGen Training - who gave us a overview of the differences between 2003 and 2007, as well as the new terminology. They are based in Sandton but I think they do training nationwide. You also get a reference CD which is also good. You look up how you used to do something in 2003 and then it tells you where to find it in 2007.

I agree it is frustrating and time consuming at the beginning but it does get better. 2007 is actually "nice" when you get used to it. Good Luck!

Anonymous said...

I do agree vir Deolinda. The way in which the ribbon is organised in 2007 actually makes more sense as things that belong together is now grouped together. But it takes time to get used to it and one is constantly (at the beginning) searching for certain functions, e.g. change case.

Unknown said...

Hi

Ya Office 2007 is good. But What about open office org 3.1?

Computer Systems Technician