Friday, January 22, 2010

Effective learners

A deputy at our school, Jeremy Gibbon, gave a wonderful PowerPoint presentation at assembly at the beginning of the term on 'The 7 habits of highly effective learners'. Each slide had a key word which he spoke about and around. He focused on the audience and did not turn around and look at the screen. He knew what he wanted to say – he obviously had notes but he did not read from them. The key words were Read a lot, Are curious, Are active learners, Develop good study skills, Write well, Are responsible for their own learning and Are organised. It is available here, zipped, at 4 Meg, created by our PR secretary Deborah Torrington.

I was so impressed with the presentation and its delivery. The words 'Active learners' made me think of how I could make the CAT learners into more active learners. The results – this week the learners had to take the PowerPoint presentations which come on CD with most of the chapters in the book, and they had to give the presentation. They had to talk around the key words. They had to know their work and emulate the deputy by talking around the topic. It was so successful. The learners rose to the occasion, maybe because they hold him in such esteem and they wanted to copy his delivery. I picked up a few errors of knowledge with respect to primary and secondary memory, and different kinds of printers. I have his permission to share this PowerPoint - feel free to use this presentation in 2003 and 2003 zipped and 2007 and 2007 zipped and maybe do something similar.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is it possible to have the presentation in PP 2003?

Thanx

Anna-Marie said...

It is a pity that I cannot open any of the two, as the message displayed, says that the files are corrupt/damaged. Any other way of opening it?

Dr Pam Miller said...

Give me some time. I will do what I can to solve the problem

Dr Pam Miller said...

I can only fix it this evening as I cannot upload from school

Dr Pam Miller said...

I hope that one or other of the links now work so that you can access the wonderful PPT.
Pam