Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Keeping up to date

We must all use whatever opportunities to keep abreast in our field.

Earlier this year, when the grade 10s were doing an activity on interviews, I was asked how I keep up to date.  I had a number of answers but I have started doing something else which helps me keep up to date.

I review journal articles for publication in an academic peer reviewed journal.  As I have a PhD I was approached to be a reviewer.  In most academic institutions lecturers have to publish to keep their job.  Well, I check if the articles they want to publish are satisfactory. I am sent the articles the editors deem are in my field - to date I have worked in the field of K-12 and university ICT integration.  It is nice to be recognised in the international academic field. And this keeps me up to date.  

2 comments:

BGR said...

Hi Pam. I wholeheartedly agree that teachers in this field are continually pushed to keep abreast of developments. Things are constantly changing - when we started the subject just a few years ago people were still using stiffy disks and now? Some useful things are to subscribe to reputable mailing lists etc, I find the iol.co.za technology page is quite useful. Now and again, if teachers can then mail your colleagues a particularly useful article you may have found and scanned (include source and date though). This subject is very dependent on collaboration and it is a 21st century learning skill that learners can benefit from.

Dr Pam Miller said...

The IOL pages are good, I agree.
Please send me useful links which I can share on the blog. docpam@gmail.com
Thanks