Saturday, September 3, 2011

Do not judge a book by its cover

I had a bad day. I went decided on retail therapy to improve matters – I wanted an e-reader.

The bad day continued. I went to computer shop at a small mall nearby. I was told it 'was expensive, about R1500' and they did not have any. I could not think why the man told me they were expensive, as for me that amount was not unreasonable.

I went to the V&A Waterfront. I went to the largest computer shop, part of a chain. I saw three salesmen playing a computer game and asked if I could interrupt them, and could I see an e-reader. They showed me the three models they had on offer. The one I liked had no price but the salesman went and found the price – R2500. I told him I would like to see others at the Waterfront, probably at the large bookshop and may come back. (He neglected to encourage me to return or tell me the bookshop had none, and there were none to be bought anywhere at the Waterfront.) I walked around not able to find any other e-readers and finding a total lack of interest in selling me anything. Eventually I went back to my home town without an e-reader and puzzled about my lack of success.

I went to a large mall in my area, to a computer shop, part of the same chain as found at the Waterfront, but no salesperson even bothered to attend to me when I was peering in the locked display window of e-readers. I left the shop without an e-reader and fuming.

I HAD to have an e-reader but the bricks and mortar shops could not be bothered to sell me one. So I bought it online.

I have spent the last few days puzzling on the lack of service and have reached a solution. I looked too poor to afford one or I looked too old to know how to use computer equipment or I looked wrong, whatever that is.

Well, to all those shop assistants, do not judge a book by its cover! I have enough to pay cash for an e-reader and also bigger things. 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pam, You are not alone. Had the same bad service at as i can think, the same chain computer shop here in George at the Garden Route Mall. I also asked a salesman, who was busy talking to his friend about some party, for a fingerprint reader. He imediatly (in front of his friend) said that it is stupid. I Exploded!!!. This man just insulted me (and my idea)!! i asked again and he said the same. When i asked him why he did'nt ask what i whant to use it for, he replied again, it is stupid!!. I asked for the manager and reported the salesman. I also insisted in writing that the matter would be sorted out. I checked up with the regoinal manager and the said salesman was given a final warnig. The short of this incident was that i found a supplier on the net and they support my idea for the use of the fingerprint reader. They are also interested in my idea because if it materialises could mean a lot of sales to them. Sorry for the Afrikaans: Die verkoopsman het my op my baatjie getakseer. Hy het nie geweet ek is 'n onderwyser en nogal 'n RTT onderwyser nie. Hy weet ook nie hoeveel kinders elke dag voor ons sit en vra waar hulle dit en dat van IKT (ICT's)kan koop nie.

Anonymous said...

Dieselfde het met my gebeur. Was op soek na 'n nuwe motor. Het na drie motorhandelaars gegaan op ons plattelandse dorpie. Almal het belowe om terug te skakel. Dalk het ek ook te arm gelyk vir 'n nuwe motor. Het intussen op die net gaan soek en gekry wat ek wou hê. Ry al nou 'n maand met my nuwe motor - en die plaaslike motorhandelaars? Nog nie 'n woord van een van hulle gehoor nie. Jammer! Hul verlies.

Anonymous said...

I feel you man. For a minute I personally thought it only happens to young black people. I so desperately wanted an 8ta modem at The Pavillion mall in the past weekend, I was so very embarrassed and dissapointed.

Dr Pam Miller said...

Maybe we should also look at real books and not judge them by their cover but the quality inside. How often do we miss wonderful books because they do not look right.

Marius P said...

Which one did you go for in the end? And where did you buy it? Just curious to know. Amazon brought out a new range of amazing Kindles at very affordable prices.