Saturday, June 7, 2008

Gr 12 Exams

Message from Teacher in Gauteng:

My CAT kids of all grades finish far too early for every paper if I stick to the mark allocation in the SAG. Maybe we need to send out a survey to find out what happens in other schools. I think the paper should be either 2.5 hours or the allocation should be upped. Most of my kids finished with between 45 minutes and half an hour to spare – they always do this. It used to happen with the SG theory paper as well. Not one pupil out of 60 was still writing in the last 15 minutes. The problem then occurs that they start becoming a discipline problem as many of my CAT pupils are hyperactive and can’t sit still for long.

Let us know how you feel about the length of the papers.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have noticed the same. My grade 11s finished well before the allocated time was up. The grade 12's, with a couple of exceptions, were finished before the time was up. Many of them were fidgeting and giving the invigilator a hard time. They are normally a well-behaved bunch. They struggled, however, to complete the prac paper.

Anonymous said...

This is really a question of having first-language english students... I find that my learners do not, with the exception of a few, finish the prac or the theory with time to spare.

Lorelei said...

I have made my grade 11 paper count more and adjusted the marks accordingly.

The grade 12's didnot finish the prac and finished early for the theory. I find that they do not read their questions correctly and they rush through their work.

I feel it is the type of students we get as they cant take any other subjct and it is seen as a easy subject that they do not need to learn or practice.

Anonymous said...

Gr. 12 prakties sommige nie klaar gekry nie. Verstaan nie wat hulle lees nie.

Teorie leer kinders nie en verstaan nie teorie, stel nie daarin belang nie.

Het vak geneem en gedink hulle gaan soos van ouds leer tik om tiksters te word, maar met die verskil dat die verskillende programme bygeleer gaan word.

Anonymous said...

I have the same problem regarding the Theory paper. Pupils finish early. The invigilator reported to me that she thinks a paper of 2 and a half hours for the theory would be more realistic, as some of my top pupils continued to write for that time. ALL the others finished within 1 1/2 and 2 hours.

Odette