Sunday, January 6, 2008

PATs in 2008

Grades 10 and 11
I am looking forward to doing the PAT in Grades 10 and 11 this year. I have had experience in doing it and now know a few things.
I know that the focus of the PAT is solving a problem.
The learners must solve the problem with the WHOLE problem / BIG picture in mind.
The learners need to have tools to solve that problem.
The learners need to know the possibilities of the computer packages they have to use so that they can use them for solving the problem.
Therefore I must wait until the learners have learned to use the packages they are meant to use, until I start the PAT.
Therefore I will only start the Gr 10 PAT when I have taught Word AND Excel. I will start the Gr 11 PAT when I have taught Word AND Excel AND Access.
Grade 12
For the Gr 12 the guide provided by the Department is well written and clear. The learners who did the Omewa PAT will be at a wonderful advantage. I will start doing the Gr 12 PAT in the first term. (I am working on a PowerPoint I will be using with my learners and will upload it later this week.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Pat

Where can I get more info on the Gr 10, 11 PAT? The handbook for Gr. 11 mentions that the PAT is part of the course, but I can't seem to find anything further on it.

I'm still waiting for my Gr 11 CD that supports the book to arrive. Is it on there maybe?

Thanks for a very helpful resource. Much appreciated.

Regards
Christiaan

Anonymous said...

Oops, I meant Pam, hi Pam! ;/

Anonymous said...

Hi Pam,

I tried the Gr11 PAT after I had taught Word, Excel & Access. I work with 2nd language English students and we only really got through enough of the syllabus at the beginning of the 4th term, leaving them with no time really to do their PAT in class... also leaving me with pressured marking at the end of the year. This year I want to do it differently but am finding it quite difficult to figure out how ... Thank you for all your support in this subject. It's a great help.