Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Reflections on the CAT practical exam

This year I was a good girl and set my practical examination papers out the number of marks as indicated in the Subject Assessment Guidelines, 180 for Grade 10 and 200 for Grade 11. I wanted to do the right thing! I did this without thinking of the consequences. Grade 11 was fine. However my Grade 10s wrote the Written and Practical papers on Thursday and the marks had to be ready to submit on Monday. I was not able to complete marking the papers in the allocated time on my own and had to get assistance in marking all 60 learners Written and Practical work. I do not know if I was slow but …

I do hope that those who do the planning for matric marking realise that the Practical papers are now out of twice as many marks as before, and may require more markers and a longer norm time.

Some thing else I will implement in future practical examinations. At our school cell phones are not allowed in the exam venues. I will also ban calculators as so many of the weak learners try to use them in their spreadsheet questions, forgetting that we mark on the computer checking the formulas!

I am looking forward to a rest from school work in the holidays and being able to catch up on relationships and domestic matters.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ha Ha, those learners who use calculators really do need some help. What about the calculator on the windows system?