Sunday, January 27, 2008

Value of CAT

Learners doing CAT are at such an advantage. The Department of Education and universities have made such a mistake in not making CAT one of the subjects which count for university entrance. In the same way that English or another language counts for university entrance so should CAT. CAT is the language of the 21st century and of academia. I have no idea how they came to regard CAT as not valuable enough for university! I have just started teaching the new Grade 12 work from the Study Opportunities book – wow! I have looked at the exercises in the textbook. That is not university work? Someone has made a major mistake! My learners are angry that a subject where they work at such a high level of thinking is not designated as good enough.
I believe there is a movement among the learners and their parents at my school to petition the HESA http://www.hesa.org.za/hesa/ Link to the Matriculation Board web site at http://www.hesa.org.za/hesa/content.asp?id=420 Have a look at the list of designated subjects on http://www.hesa-enrol.ac.za/nishe/faqs.htm According to the web site the list was finalised in 2005! Did the committee read the NCS? Did they know what they were evaluating? That date was very early to make such a huge decision and I believe it is now time to reconsider. May I propose that the HESA get a selection of textbooks that are being used in the subject and consider them, look at which textbook has market share as that probably has a large influence on the level of the subject; and look at the exemplars and first Gr 12 paper to be written this year. Then re-evaluate the subject.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree...

Anonymous said...

I agree completely. As a matric student i am starting fear wether or not i will be able to get into the course of my choice at the university of my choice as CAT is one of my stronger subjects. If the subject is not accepted for universities then what is the point of having it as an available subject in high school? CAT is an extremely usefull tool in the ever changing technological world and should definately be recognised by universities.

Anonymous said...

I come from a disadvantaged backround, and when i got to high school it was the first time i used a computer. I am now in matric and I still struggle with CAT, although it is chalenging I always try my best and these days I am getting very good marks, and now, all my hard work is not going to pay off, as i can't use cat to get into UCT...We will make a stand...

Anonymous said...

I agree entirely. As a matric student at one of the schools that teach CAT, I find that not only do I enjoy the subject, but that the Grade 12 standard of work is higher than most people think. The Study Opportunities textbook is of a much higher standard than many of us expected. CAT as a subject should be one of the entry subjects to Universities as all students at that level of Education should be computer literate!!!! Work needs to be well presented and well layed out. I am worried as to whether or not I will be able to do the specific coure I'm interested in!!! We WILL do something about this...

Anonymous said...

I agree with Dr Miller as when i finish schoiol, I intend to do a couse in computers and now that universities aren't accepting CAT as a study opportunity, what's the point of me doing the subject?

Anonymous said...

The point of CAT is to teach basic computer skills. Universities have courses (like CIL at UP) where you have to learn that basic skills - it is a requirement to take CIL at UP, but you can get exemption for it, because they regard it as something most students know as common knowledge.

CAT is there for learners who want to learn the basic skills for computers. I saw the content in the Study Opportunities textbook and the work Computer Studies SG did in 2007 was a bit more advanced. I say yes let universities acknowledge CAT - BUT as a standard grade subject.

Anonymous said...

Has there been any change to this decision?