Saturday, March 7, 2009

Experience helps

I am getting better at teaching this subject! Experience does help.
  • The Grade 10s have been doing the Integrated Task on pages S8 of the textbook. They are doing it in groups, which has resulted in so much learning, i.e. organising the fonts, layout, line spacing, tabs, borders, and then the information! They were given a rubric which the group used while they were doing the work, and then on which the group had to evaluate themselves. I decide to do it this way as the learners must learn to READ the evaluation rubric and instructions. I will now go through the work and find faults with their work before I jump on them and find faults with their evaluations. This task was due on Friday and the learners are doing their term test on the same work on Monday.
  • The Grade 11s have just finished the Integrated task on page S8 of their books. I made the learners use their own home address for the work. So many cannot write their own address! And creating an agenda is also a problem!I walked the class watching and helping during the task. So much help and guidance seemed to be needed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My Grade 11s have also just completed the same task. The agenda also proved problematic - about 1/4 did not even know what an agenda was! They also had to be continually reminded to read ALL the instructions.