Sunday, August 26, 2007

PATs - In general

Grade 11 - The marking of Phases 1 and 2 went really quickly. The learners had done much of their work in tables and I was able to skim the answers. The part which required the most thought was the questions and the search criteria. It took me longer to fill in the rubric than it took me to mark the task, about 2 mins in total. I did talk to most learners individually as I marked the work.
In preparation for Phase 3 I sat them all on the carpet in front of me (in front so no computer would get in the way of eye contact) and explained what was wrong with their Phases 1 and 2. They all seemed to understand what was wrong although when I watched them working on Phase 3, it was apparent that some had not really heard. I should have shown them examples of what was required, although the instructions did mention the type of activities required for Excel and Access. After speaking to each individually at least once as they were doing Phase 3 I believe all know what is required in the next phase.

Grade 10 – I am not starting the PAT until I have finished Theme 4, or at least nearly completed Excel. I do not believe the learners can do a PAT which uses Excel until they know the capabilities of Excel. They need to know what the tool can do before they use the tool!
Currently they are working on Integrated Task 3. Two problem areas became apparent in Stage 1. I wanted the URL of where they would find information. Some of them gave me Google or Ask Jeeves which is not a URL but a search engine. Then --- they had to give the URL of where one could find information on training for the Comrades Marathon. Some gave me information on how to get fit, but not fit for Comrades! As a person who has run Comrades 3 times I feel passionate about the race. I expected the learners to realise that the Comrades is not just any race but 90km over hilly country. They had to find the information to answer the question properly. All of the integrated tasks are preparing the learners for the PAT and focusing on solving a problem.

No comments: